This is our top recommendation for larger bushcraft axe for those outdoorsman that need to fell trees regularly or split small firewood. We really like this tool as a great overall axe for all bushcrafting tasks. The edge is straighter which makes it better for doing fine carving and near the handle they have created a groove so the axe head is easier choke up on when whittling. Of all the Hults Bruks axes we offer, this one is a bushcraft workhorse and can do everything you'll ever need for your survival training. It isn't as convenient to carry as a hatchet due to the 24" handle, but the head is relatively the same weight and it's great to have around camp. These are easy to strap to a backpack and carry them anywhere your trek takes you. We prefer lighter weight axe heads and the Hults Bruk line of axes is a great overall weight for felling, splitting, as well as finer carving tasks. Heavier head axes become a burden on your hands when doing finer bushcraft tasks, so we highly prefer this line of lighter axes. You can still belt carry this axe, but be prepared to wear a heavy duty belt or good suspenders. The advantage of the hatchets is that you can carry them without burden or them hitting your legs when walking away from camp. So this is best used a camp axe for all your basic fire making needs.
- The axe head is hand-forged and made from Swedish axe steel in a foundry that has been in operation since 1697.
- As part of the hand grinding production process, the steel is struck multiple times thereby increasing its density and resulting in more durability of the axe.
- The head is constructed in such a way that there is a tempered zone designed to hold a very sharp edge even after many sharpenings.
- The curved hickory handle is treated with linseed oil.
- Each axe comes with a traditional leather protective sheath that is embellished with some unique Swedish decorative elements. (Replacement sheaths are available) The axe is shipped in its own storage box and comes with a detailed users manual.
Overall Weight: 2.2 lbs.
Head Weight: 1.5 lbs.
Handle Length: 24"
Head: Solid Swedish steel
Handle: Solid American Hickory
Other Recommendations: If you purchase a hammer belt holder from your local hardware store, you can wear this on your belt for easy carry in the woods. We also highly recommend picking up some tennis grip tape from the sporting goods store and wrapping your handle in it. This makes the axe much more comfortable on your hands and very grippy in wet conditions. Your axe is a dangerous tool and you need to make sure it is always secure in your grip at all time.
This thing is a beauty and a beast in the field.