The Hults Bruk Almike Hatchet is our recommendation for best axe for our survival courses. It is a really high quality Swedish made axe with all the features you want in a belt carry style bushcraft axe. We don't really like to carry hatchets larger than about 16" on our belt, so this one fits the bill perfect. A hatchet is a must have for all bushcraft and survival enthusiasts and will be one of your main go to tools for processing firewood and felling small trees for shelters. It is also bomb proof, unlike a saw, and won't fail you when you need it the most. Saws are much more convenient to carry and usually faster and cutting firewood than axes, but folding saws are more prone to breakage. Even if your axe handle breaks you can always fashion a new one in the wilderness.
- The axe head is hand-forged and made from Swedish axe steel in a foundry that has been in operation since 1697.
- As part of the hand grinding production process, the steel is struck multiple times thereby increasing its density and resulting in more durability of the axe.
- The head is constructed in such a way that there is a tempered zone designed to hold a very sharp edge even after many sharpenings.
- The curved hickory handle is treated with linseed oil.
- Each axe comes with a traditional leather protective sheath that is embellished with some unique Swedish decorative elements. (Replacement sheaths are available) The axe is shipped in its own storage box and comes with a detailed users manual.
Overall Weight: 1 3/4 lbs.
Head Weight: 1 lb.
Handle Length: 16"
Head: Solid Swedish steel
Handle: Solid American Hickory
Other Recommendations: If you purchase a hammer belt holder from your local hardware store, you can wear this on your belt for easy carry in the woods. We also highly recommend picking up some tennis grip tape from the sporting goods store and wrapping your handle in it. This makes the axe much more comfortable on your hands and very grippy in wet conditions. Your axe is a dangerous tool and you need to make sure it is always secure in your grip at all time.
Received both the knife and ax recently. I have not used either of them yet but will shortly when I go Turkey and Whitetail Deer hunting. I give them both a five for quality and workmanship...Thanks!
Stood up to a lot of punishment. Used the hatchet for my whole 45 day Instructor course and it handled great.
Only needed to use it once and you can feel the quality of both the steel and handle. Would highly recommend.
Hatchet is of high quality and came in perfect condition.
Very sharp, perfect alignment and very good handle grain orientation.
I have no complaints with this item.